2009 IBC; bank lobby

curious what your thoughts are on this. i have a bank lobby with seating and a small queuing area to to the tellers. although this should be at a high occupancy factor (5 for standing), what is the Group Occupancy type? my initial reaction would be to make it an A3, only because it is the closest description.

but due to other factors in the building, this is a separated occupancy building. but i've never seen the lobby and queuing area separated from the other bank services (business Group B Occupancy). even in high rise buildings, the lobby is open to the other business areas, and does not have an occupancy separation.

am i over thinking this? is it still a Group B Occupancy as it serves the primary Function of the overall space?

thanks!
Original Post
Handler is correct. Read Section 303.1. An Assembly occupancy is a place for the:

"...gathering of persons for purposes such as civic, social or religious functions; recreation, food or drink consumption or awaiting transportation."

Just because an occupant load could exceed 50 within a space does not make it an assembly occupancy. Otherwise, department stores and large open offices with dozens of cubicles would be considered "assembly."

Add Reply

Likes (0)