2009 IBC; training room occupancy

in an office building, there are three training rooms that can open up into one large training room. full of tables and chairs, this is for adults (over 12th grade). My initial reaction is to call this a Group B Occupancy.

the only concern is that the three rooms together have 55 occupants. in scouring my books, i ran across this in the 2009 IBC Q&A, section 304; "Although Section 304.1 for Group B occupancy lists both "Educational occupancies for students above the 12th grade" and "training and skill development", these classifications may still describe the "use" of the space, but because the occupant load exceeds 50 people, this space must be treated as a Group A assembly occupancy".

whoa! how did they get there? i know there are exceptions for small Group A Occupancies that could be classified as Group B, but nothing in the definition of Group B that forces it the other way.

and in the 2009 IBC Handbook, Section 304, i find this; "Educational occupancies above the 12th grade, including college classrooms and training rooms for adult education, are considered Group B uses. This designation is not necessarily incumbent on the number of students (occupants) in the room." so from this, i would think my initial reaction is correct.

so, which is it? did i miss something? appreciate your insight! thanks!
Original Post
I would agree with your conclusion Brent. I interpret Exception 1 & 2 of 303.1 as speaking to occupancies other than the occupanies allowed within a 'B' ( as mentioned in 304.1) which are; Educational occupancies for students above the 12th grade or Training and skill development not within a school or academic program. So, I too would classify it as a B. I would think that they would allow it because they may have thought that the OL would be lower because it would be likely in those uses there would be table and chairs and not just chairs. At least that is my view of it.

Add Reply

Likes (0)