2010 CBC table 1004.1.1 vs CPC table A

I am trying to determine the minimum required plumbing fixture count for a restaurant/pool hall
and an Occupant Load count for posted signs.
Premises are about 3000 with about 2500 sq ft
public area located in Southern California.
Only minor construction is proposed such as paint and furnishings.
Am I correct that the total counts established from Table A in CPC and 1004.1.1 in CBC are for separate and distinct purposes and are not interchangeable?
Thanks for your help
Original Post
First of all I would suggest you hire an architect

Depending on the Authority Having Jurisdiction, The total occupant load shall be determined in accordance with the Occupant Load Factor CPC Table A or CBC . Most will accept either.
The type of building or occupancy shall be determined based on the actual use of the various spaces within the building.
Building categories not shown in Table 4-1 shall be considered separately by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
The minimum number of fixtures shall be calculated at 50 percent male and 50 percent female based on the total occupant load.
Thanks for the advice. I agree that is one's
best move in a lot of building projects.
Back to my question.
I understand how the tables work and how you can arrive at a fixture count. What I am trying to determine is the relation of the two tables.
For example, we were to use Table A to establish that the OL is 96 (or 48 females and 48 males). We would then need 1 wc in each and 1 urinal.
BUT
if table 1004.1.1 shows that the space will
accomodate 130 people. Are we allowed to have
a posted allowed occupancy of 130 as long as the exits meet the code requirements for 130?

Since some of the ratios for OL in Table A ask for 1/2 the total of fixed seating etc., I am lead to believe that this table has no relation to the actual number of people allowed in an occupancy. Am I correct?
Yes you are correct
The two codes were written by different organizations as model codes and do not reconcile with each other. Apples and oranges.

CBC 1004.1.1 relates to exiting, not to plumbing fixtures
CBC written by the ICC, modified by CA state agencies

CPC Table A, relates to plumbing fixture loads
CPC written by IAPMO, modified by CA state agencies
One question on this old posting. The California Plumbing Code lists that the total occupant load shall be based on the "Occupant Load Factor Table A" but it adopts this under BSC, DSA-SS, & DSA-SS/CC. For local jurisdictions this would mean that you would have to use CBC Table 1004.1.1 and CPC T-A does not apply? Or is this a mistake in the code.

Add Reply

Likes (0)