506.4.1.2, Mixed Occupancies, Separated, Allowable area perr floor?

I am looking for a clarification of section 506.4.1.1. (CA SFM)

I intrepret this section to reference the maximum allowable area of any particular floor based on the occupancies of that floor so that the sum of the ratios do not exceet 2. (Overall the building can not exceed 1 per 508.3.3.2)

Is this a correct intrepretation?

I downloaded a code powerpoint presentation that indicates this section reference to mean the floor area can be doubled. I do not believe this to be correct. (See the attached page of the powerpoint presentation)

Attachments

Original Post
We are talking about item #1 in Section 506.4.1 of the CBC (bolded)....right?

506.4.1 Mixed occupancies.
In buildings with mixed occupancies, the allowable area per story (Aa) shall be based on the most restrictive provisions for each occupancy when the mixed occupancies are treated according to Section 508.3.2. When the occupancies are treated according to Section 508.3.3 as separated occupancies, the maximum total building area shall be such that the sum of the ratios for each such area on all floors as calculated according to Section 508.3.3.2 shall comply with the following:

1. For other than high-rise buildings, Group A, E, H, I, L, and R occupancies and other applications listed in Section 111 regulated by the Office of  the State Fire Marshal, the sum shall not exceed 2 for two-story buildings and 3 for buildings three stories or higher.

2. For high-rise buildings, Group A, E, H, I, L, and R occupancies and other applications listed in Section 111 regulated by the Office of  the State Fire Marshal, the sum shall not exceed 2 for buildings two stories or higher.
CBC 506.4.1 states that, for separated occupancies, the maximum total building area (not per floor) shall be as follows:

For high-rise, A, E, H, I, L, and R, the sum of the ratios for each area on all floors shall not exceed 2.

For other applications, the sum of the ratios for each area on all floors shall not exceed 2 for 2-story buildings and 3 for buildings with 3 or more stories.

Per CBC 508.3.3.2, the area in each story shall be such that the sum of the ratios shall not exceed 1.
quote:
Originally posted by Annette:
CBC 506.4.1 states that, for separated occupancies, the maximum total building area (not per floor) shall be as follows:

For high-rise, A, E, H, I, L, and R, the sum of the ratios for each area on all floors shall not exceed 2.

For other applications, the sum of the ratios for each area on all floors shall not exceed 2 for 2-story buildings and 3 for buildings with 3 or more stories.

Per CBC 508.3.3.2, the area in each story shall be such that the sum of the ratios shall not exceed 1.

Thanks. Reading with more diligence of the 506.4.1 section, I now see the reference to "...total building area..." and "...on all floors...", whereas 508.3.3.2 references "In each story,...". (So much for unlimited areas in High-Rise buildings if the ratios sum can not exceed 2.)

Thanks again.
Likes (0)